Approved by voters in 2008 as a “Special Taxing District”:
- Primary purpose is to provide enhanced security for the District
- Security includes:
- private patrols (off-duty City of St. Louis Police officers);
- enhanced alley lighting;
- trash pickup;
- crime/safety education;
- and other safety-related services to residents living within the District.
Funded 100% by property taxes:
- Not a CID or TIF (which are funded by sales tax revenue);
- Revenue received by City of St. Louis in Feb/Mar following the close of each tax year (12/31);
- Tax rate for 2017 will be set at $0.6644 per $100 of assessed value;
- Maximum tax rate allowable by law is $0.68;
- Tax rate increases are the decision of the Board and do not require a vote by taxpayers.
Tax district boundaries are generally bounded by:
- West: Roger Place;
- South: Gravois Ave to Phillips/Roger;
- East: Grand Boulevard;
- North: Alley between Utah Place and McDonald Avenue.
Board composition is comprised of a 7-person board that is responsible for managing the business and financial activities of the taxing district:
- Appointed by the Major;
- Each board member serves a 4-year term;
- Requires five (5) owners of real property within the District and two (2) renters within the District.